Monday, August 23, 2010

Hot peppers anyone

I love hot peppers so I planted several Serrano plants and they are doing quite well in this 103 degree weather we've had the last few days. Texas is known for its hot summers and August has the hottest days. The peppers are growing quite nicely in this heat and I say thats why they are called hot peppers. I cut them up and brown them with diced up chicken, bell peppers, garlic and onions and add them to my spaghetti sauce and dinner is served. My son Vem loves spicy spaghetti.  What a flavor blast. The chickens will sneak over the fence for their own chance to taste these delicious hot peppers when they can, as you can see.


I am including our family recipe for Spicy Chicken Rigatoni. The chicken was processed from our flock and all veggies were grown in my garden. I really taste a difference when I used home grown ingredients.

  •  Whole cooked chicken (I boil the chicken in a pressure cooker)
  • Jar of your favorite sauce (I use marinara)
  • 2 bell peppers (one red and one green look great)
  • 2 Onions ( I use one purple and one white)
  • 3 Serrano Chili peppers
  • Garlic (1 elephant garlic clove)
  • Italian seasoning (to taste)
  • Olive Oil
  • Cayenne Pepper
  • Black pepper 
  • Whole grain noodles
  • Grated cheese (mozzerella)
Start by adding Olive oil to the saucepan. The bottom should almost be covered.  Turn the heat on high. When the oil is hot enough add the diced chicken and all the vegetables and Italian seasoning to taste except the garlic. Stir until most of the oil is absorbed, then turn the heat to low.  Add the garlic, mix, then cover the pan.  Leave covered for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally until the Chicken is browned and bell peppers are soft. Add the jar of your favorite pasta sauce to the pan. Turn the heat on low and stir occasionally.  I seasoned with a few strong shakes of cayenne and a pinch of black pepper.
The last step is to ladle the sauce over your favorite pasta.  I used rigatoni. Sprinkle with your favorite grated cheese. Spicy Chicken Rigatoni goes well served with your favorite garlic bread and iced tea.

Let me know what you think! Send me your favorite chicken dishes prepared with ingredients from your garden to try out and post on Farmer in the Martindale.

TIP - Save the empty pasta sauce jar for odds and ends nails and screws for building and repairing your chicken coop.

No comments:

Post a Comment